Monday, May 5, 2014

Treasure Hunting

I love nice things. Who doesn't? I love the idea of going to the mall and shopping in whatever store I want and walking around while throwing my head back laughing with friends while we carry around our 50 shopping bags on our arms.
What I love even more is finding GREAT deals! I am a huge fan of browsing garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores and rummage sales. If you're willing to take some time to really browse and LOOK at the items they have, you can find some incredible treasures. 

Take a look at some of the things that I found this weekend:

CHI Silk Infusion (Full bottle): $6.98 [Ulta's price: $24.50]
Coach Purse (Used, but good conditon): $15.00 [Retail price $154.50]
Mary Kay Travel Bag (New - never been used) $1.99 [Mary Kay's price $35.00]
Charging Station (Slightly Used): $2.00 [Target's price $44.99]
Dog jacket (don't judge me!) (New - tag still on): $2.00 [Retail price $9.95)
Dog carrying crate (New - never been used): $3.00 [Retail price $21.99]

This means that for these items I spent a total of $30.97, and if I had purchased them new I would have spent a whopping $290.93! Almost $300! That is over $250.00 of savings! 

Now don't get me wrong. I didn't just walk in to the first thrift store I found and BAM! there's a 60" TV in great working condition. Sometimes you find one thing. Sometimes you find nothing. But that doesn't mean that next week won't have something great! Keep these few tips in mind when sale seeking:


  • If you know a garage sale has been going on for awhile, or especially if this is their second or third day, you can really talk them down. They're wanting to get rid of this stuff!
  • If you're going for large items, be sure to have a vehicle to take those items with you. Not everyone or every store will hold that item while you go find a truck.
  • Look around - EVERYWHERE. Just because there isn't a Walkman system with the electronics doesn't mean it isn't hiding somewhere else. 
  • Don't get discouraged if you don't find something today. Garage sales happen almost every weekend in the nice weather months, and thrift stores get new items in at least every week.

Hopefully this information has given you hope and drive to go out there and find a great deal!
Happy shopping :)





No comments:

Post a Comment